We are thrilled to announce that our very own Doug Beckett, Scheduler of SSMBA is being inducted into the Midland Sports Hall of Fame. Doug’s nomination was submitted by his peers from the Midland Penetang Baseball Association in addition to those from the Midland Minor Hockey Association and South Simcoe Minor Baseball Association.
Doug was a pitcher in the Boston Red Sox system of the Major League Baseball from 1967-1970. Doug compiled a career record of seventeen wins and twenty-three losses with 4.74 ERA in his 120-game pitching career with the Waterloo Hawks, Greenville Red Sox, Louisville Colonels and Pawtucket Red Sox. He began playing during the 1967 season and last took the field during the 1970 season.
Doug moved to Tiny from Toronto in 2000. Since then, Doug has been an integral part of the Midland sports community and is still involved to this day. Doug’s kindness, knowledge, determination, compassion and love of our community is well known from every committee he patriciates on to being a present at our local basketball courts, ice rinks, and baseball diamonds.
Some of the current, and past, positions and successes Doug has had for the Town of Midland and our youth include:
• Midland Penetang Baseball President (previously Midland Minor Baseball) field scheduler and President 2003– present
• Field scheduler for Midland-Penetang Baseball Minor Baseball 2003-present
• Coaching numerous minor baseball teams whenever a coach was required
• Vice President of Select for the York Simcoe Minor Baseball Association 2020-present
• Games Scheduler for the South Simcoe Baseball Association
• One of the Founding Members and Treasurer of the Northern Elite Osprey Baseball Association
• Active Level three Umpire
• Umpire in Chief from 2007-2015
• Basketball Referee - retired
• Volunteer Basketball Coach at Mundy’s Bay Public School, Penetang SS, PMBA and GBDSS
• Midland Minor Hockey Coach, Secretary, Tournament Director and most recently and currently Ice Scheduler and Treasurer
• North Central Predators AAA Hockey Coach
• North Simcoe Girls Hockey Ice Scheduler & North Central Predators Ice Scheduler 2015 - present
• 2021 Baseball Ontario “Don McKnight Memorial” Volunteer of the Year award winner
• Named John Gibson leadership award winner in 2012
• Named South Simcoe Minor Baseball Association Lifetime Member in 2011
Sports in Midland wouldn’t be where it is today without Doug’s contribution, commitment, kindness, knowledge and determination and his love for the game.
On behalf of the SSMBA, and our members, we congratulate you Doug and we thank you.
The Hall of Fame ceremony will be held September 24, 2022 – stay tuned for more details.